Monday, April 17, 2006

Necessary Rock and Roll Reunions of the New Millennium

Concert season is about to get underway, and to commemorate this exciting time of the year I thought that I'd post a highly scientific list of reunion tours that are absolutely necessary in preserving the gentle balance of the universe. To come up with this list I looked through my iTunes library not just once or twice, but thrice! Here are the HIGHLY SCIENTIFIC results (in alphabetical order):
  • BEN FOLDS FIVE. The man has been highly productive since the band broke up, releasing 2 full-length records, a myriad EPs, and some shenanigans with other people named Ben. And while I would be hesitant to say that his releases after The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Mesner were bad (they weren't), it is obvious that they were missing something: different voices. No one wants to hear a grown man harmonizing with himself, am I wrong? Robert Sledge and Darren Jesse were an integral part of BFF's sound and perhaps more importantly the band's irreverent presence. Just listened to the opening of Underground and you'll see what I mean.

  • Desaparecidos. I like Bright Eyes but I'm sick of all the Obershit that comes with it. Desaparecidos wasn't a great band, but they did play really, really loud, which can go a long way to make up for whatever on-stage tom-foolery the lead singer may be bringing to the table. Also, Jenny Lewis should be in this band's reunion.

  • Frank Black and the Catholics (with the lineup from Dog In The Sand). The Catholics is by nature a rotating band, but that particular group was the best. It also marked the best post-Pixies music Mr. Black/Francis/Thompson has produced.

  • Pavement. What can I say? It's getting close to being that time. The Silver Jews finally toured. Malkmus now has some kids and released three highly listenable records. A Pavement reunion surely can't be that far off, right? Right. I'm predicting summer 2008.

  • The Rentals. Technically, I don't think this band ever really broke up, but instead just kind of dissipated. Surely, Matt Sharp is doing something during his days, but why I can't be "getting the band back together" perhaps we'll never know. Either way, the second most interesting member of Weezer is Sharp and America demands some catchy Moog-Pop. So bring it, I say.
That's my list. What should be added?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Welcome to "What Is Recoil?." If you would like to post something on this blog, but don't have a WIR-Blogger login, then send me an e-mail, and I'll make it happen. SHAZAM!
-Rick
(co-creator)

Rick | Dynamarx | rus-trick | ryan | The Potato | JDM | DrNewsie | Mr. MS | AK | Brooke | Stein | Moses | G | CarrieOkie | Jen | Duhn | M. Moore | Laura | Mr.T | kat | abby | Greg

09/2005 | 10/2005 | 11/2005 | 12/2005 | 01/2006 | 02/2006 | 03/2006 | 04/2006 | 05/2006 | 06/2006 | 07/2006 | 08/2006 | 09/2006 | 10/2006 | 11/2006 | 12/2006 | 01/2007 | 02/2007 | 03/2007 |