Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Re: Funny Ha Ha

After posting about this movie a couple weeks back several people have told me they saw it (which is delightful), and they have all HATED it.

I feel like I may have misrepresented the film. Allow me to take this time to correct that.

"Funny Ha Ha" is a movie that I found absolutely incredible. That being said, this isn't a movie for everyone-- one of the reasons I find it so damn cool. In this day and age every movie is suppose to appeal to the broadest possible audience it can, "Funny Ha Ha" is a small film that has a laser-sighted-focus on its audience: me, people like me. This is significant because I feel like the Hollywood model is slowly eroding and eventually they (like what the cable networks have already done) are going to have to realize that people no longer want something built for the masses, they want something built specifically for them. Ironically, the "hyper-liberal" film industry is really one of the most conservative organizations in all media. Nothing changes. Ever. It has been operating exactly the same since the birth of film 100 years ago. Like the music industry before it, they simply do not want to acknowledge the fact that people tastes are changing.

But this is neither here nor there, I'm suppose to be defending "Funny Ha Ha," which is actually kind of odd since my thesis is that "Funny Ha Ha" doesn't actually need defending, because its overall impact on culture is so small. Perhaps the more important point to be made is that what makes "Funny Ha Ha" good (whether it is a movie you liked or not) is its honesty toward its subject matter-- something people inherently respond to (even if those people are only me).

And now for something completely similar:
Chuck Klosterman is Blogging at the SuperBowl for ESPN. It's great. So great, in fact, that I'm willing to let him off the hook for the past couple months worth of boring Esquire columns.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Welcome to "What Is Recoil?." If you would like to post something on this blog, but don't have a WIR-Blogger login, then send me an e-mail, and I'll make it happen. SHAZAM!
-Rick
(co-creator)

Rick | Dynamarx | rus-trick | ryan | The Potato | JDM | DrNewsie | Mr. MS | AK | Brooke | Stein | Moses | G | CarrieOkie | Jen | Duhn | M. Moore | Laura | Mr.T | kat | abby | Greg

09/2005 | 10/2005 | 11/2005 | 12/2005 | 01/2006 | 02/2006 | 03/2006 | 04/2006 | 05/2006 | 06/2006 | 07/2006 | 08/2006 | 09/2006 | 10/2006 | 11/2006 | 12/2006 | 01/2007 | 02/2007 | 03/2007 |