Tuesday, January 10, 2006

New Release Tuesday.

After a somewhat shaky start to the new year we are greated with 2 significant releases.

1) We Are Scientists. Haven't heard this record, but everyone with with a blog seems to be indicating that it is the rock record to beat in '06. I'm psyched about it, and will pick it up in the next 35 minutes. I know nothing of this band aside from the hype, which is kind of a fun way to listen to a record for the first time.

2) Morningwood on the other hand, I've heard and have been listening to quite regularly since July. I like it. It's good, balls-out rock and roll, about what rock and roll should be about: sex, drugs, and itself. It is highly possible that both of these bands achieve Killers-like status within the next 8 months. In fact, I totally expect it. Morningwood, however, seems to have taken a quick lead out the gate however.

More on these later tonight after I give WaS a listen...

Update 5 minutes later: Oh, and I forgot another big release that came out today, the "MacBook Pro." Wait a minute. What the F is a MacBook?!

Update at 4:22: Get this! I hit up the Tower Records on 5th and Broadway to pick up the WaS records. AS PLANNED. But when I walked in there was a sign saying, "Free Morningwood Ticket to their show on Thursday at Bowery (sold out!) with the purchase of their record." "That's kick ass!" I thought to myself. But what was more kick ass? Their record was on sale for $8.99! EIGHT-NINETY-NINE! That, my friends, is how you build a fan base. So now I'm going to see a rock show on Thursday and got a free CD out of it! Also, the WaS record was $8.99 as well.

SO. If you're living in the tri-state area and enjoy bawdy rock music, hit up Tower on Broadway on your way home from work. Bully!

Update at 4:48 on the 11th: Listened to some We Are Scientists and like it. Kind of an American Franz Ferdinand (which seems like it was something I read somewhere). They aren't revolutionary, but definitely a band I could see going far in '06. As for the Morningwood record, its as I remember it EXCEPT NOW there is a big 'ol BLEEP! right in the middle of "Jetsettermusicletter," which totally sucks. I hope there is no such editing tonight at the show, as that would also suck.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Welcome to "What Is Recoil?." If you would like to post something on this blog, but don't have a WIR-Blogger login, then send me an e-mail, and I'll make it happen. SHAZAM!
-Rick
(co-creator)

Rick | Dynamarx | rus-trick | ryan | The Potato | JDM | DrNewsie | Mr. MS | AK | Brooke | Stein | Moses | G | CarrieOkie | Jen | Duhn | M. Moore | Laura | Mr.T | kat | abby | Greg

09/2005 | 10/2005 | 11/2005 | 12/2005 | 01/2006 | 02/2006 | 03/2006 | 04/2006 | 05/2006 | 06/2006 | 07/2006 | 08/2006 | 09/2006 | 10/2006 | 11/2006 | 12/2006 | 01/2007 | 02/2007 | 03/2007 |