Saturday, November 05, 2005

What Is Recoil #22

I asked this question to one Prof. Janice Portmeir, a linguistics expert out of Telluride, Colorado. She claims that Recoil and its Latin root "Recolus" deal with the ancient practice of human sacrifice. "I've studied many a word," she says, "but few are as interesting as Recoil. Really, discovering its true meaning has become my life's work-- sadly it has kept me from enjoying the fruits of some of my closest relationships, some even with other people.

I follow Prof. Portmeir into her office. It's a humble study with a roll-top desk, touch-lamp, and king-sized bed covered in satin sheets. "The sheets are satin!" she says. I say I know. She asks how can I tell without laying on them, and I respond that there are few things in this life I know a lot about, but thread-count happens to be one of them. Yes, thread-count, AND the collected works of --

She disrobes and jumps on the bed. Nervous, I begin playing with one of those paper weights that house thousands of metal pins-- the type you can press your face against and a pointilized, metal, reproduction will appear on the other side. She sat up, naked as pre-sauced pasta, grabbed the weight from my hands, and pressed it firmly against her right breast. Most uncomfortable.

I turned toward a stack of books on a shelf. On top sat He's Just Not That Into You by comedian-turned-author Greg Behrendt. The retail sticker indicated that it was a best-seller. "Now then, about this Recoil business," I say, never making direct eye contact and trying to right this sinking ship.

"Stop with the games," she says. "Take me."

"Take you where?" I was playing the fool. I knew full well where should would like to "be taken."

"You're right," she says. "This a love we shan't speak its name. Damn, but I just spoke it!"

"Look," I'm trying to reason with her, "it's probably high time I left you alone to your study. The true definition of Recoil awaits, no?

I head toward the door. She leaps from the bed, "WAIT!" I turn around, expecting to meet the business end of an ice-pick... or edible body paint. It was a weird vibe, I couldn't really gauge it.

"Why don't you take this with you." She hands me a tri-fold pamphlet: Recoil and You: Where like minds come to die. I took it from her hands, thanked her and high tailed it out of there. Was I closer to discovering "What is Recoil?" Not really. But I did learn a few things about life. Unfortunately, those things were weathered, old, and in need of some solid aerobic activity.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Welcome to "What Is Recoil?." If you would like to post something on this blog, but don't have a WIR-Blogger login, then send me an e-mail, and I'll make it happen. SHAZAM!
-Rick
(co-creator)

Rick | Dynamarx | rus-trick | ryan | The Potato | JDM | DrNewsie | Mr. MS | AK | Brooke | Stein | Moses | G | CarrieOkie | Jen | Duhn | M. Moore | Laura | Mr.T | kat | abby | Greg

09/2005 | 10/2005 | 11/2005 | 12/2005 | 01/2006 | 02/2006 | 03/2006 | 04/2006 | 05/2006 | 06/2006 | 07/2006 | 08/2006 | 09/2006 | 10/2006 | 11/2006 | 12/2006 | 01/2007 | 02/2007 | 03/2007 |