Monday, October 10, 2005

Carving Ivory Soap

Last fall, my employer chose to sink our floating holiday on Columbus Day 2005.

So I have a day off today and nothing to do except reminisce about my first-grade class' Friday Surprise activity in honor of Columbus Day. Each student had to bring a bar of Ivory soap and a butter knife to class. Even though the kindergarteners routinely strapped nuclear devices to their Velcro sneakers, Einstein Elementary didn't have metal detectors in 1987.

Our teacher told us to make a Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria out of soap. Armed with their butter knives, most kids quickly carved pointy bows, stabbed toothpicks with paper sails attached into the soap and watched their ships float in a bowl filled with water.

I struggled, though. My parents sent a regular table knife with me, and it was too thick to carve the soap. My knife slipped off the soap every time I tried to remove the corners.

I felt like I belonged in a wheelchair like J.J., the special ed. kid who stole my ruler one day. I wished I had an awesome knife and accent like the guy in the Irish Spring commercials.

That Friday Surprise was the worst until the spring when the teacher scrambled eggs, fried some ham, dyed both green and served them after we read Green Eggs and Ham. I was a picky eater and didn't like eggs. I was a picky reader, too. I thought Dr. Seuss wrote facile, druggy nonsense, so I went on a brief hunger strike to protest the monosyllabic rhymes involving foxes in socks, cats in hats and Grinches ruining holidays for Whos.

Have fun at work and school today, kids.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Welcome to "What Is Recoil?." If you would like to post something on this blog, but don't have a WIR-Blogger login, then send me an e-mail, and I'll make it happen. SHAZAM!
-Rick
(co-creator)

Rick | Dynamarx | rus-trick | ryan | The Potato | JDM | DrNewsie | Mr. MS | AK | Brooke | Stein | Moses | G | CarrieOkie | Jen | Duhn | M. Moore | Laura | Mr.T | kat | abby | Greg

09/2005 | 10/2005 | 11/2005 | 12/2005 | 01/2006 | 02/2006 | 03/2006 | 04/2006 | 05/2006 | 06/2006 | 07/2006 | 08/2006 | 09/2006 | 10/2006 | 11/2006 | 12/2006 | 01/2007 | 02/2007 | 03/2007 |